Active Learning Environments
The concept behind an Active Learning Environment (ALE) is to provide students with a technologically advanced atmosphere conducive to collaboration, student engagement and creativity. Custom components including light, sound, comfort and technology are incorporated to ensure optimal learning within each classroom.
The physical changes combine with the innovative teaching methods to enhance the student acquisition of vital 21st century skills.
What are 21st Century Learning Skills?
21st century skills are the tools today's students need to prepare for their rapidly-changing, tech-savvy, global future. Examples include:
- Problem solving
- Global perspective
Here are just a few ways Tampa Prep helps students acquire 21st century skills:
- Interactive assignments
- Multimedia projects
- Student-led discussions
- Small group collaboration
- One-on-one instruction
- Oral presentations
- Independent study
- Varied teaching methods
- Experiential learning trips
- Interdisciplinary projects
- Guest lecturers and visiting authors
- Small classes
- Self-guided activities
- Multi-faceted tasks
- Experimental labs
- International visitors
“The student experience was at the center of every decision that was made on this project. Although technology is on display throughout our Active Learning Environment, it is there as a tool to enhance the student experience.
Technology does not drive the educational experience at Prep. What’s best for students drives what happens in the classrooms.
- Middle School Director Joe Fenlon
- EdScoop published "Florida school 'eliminates' classroom walls with interactive projectors"
- "Tampa Preparatory Adopts High-Tech Audio Systems in New Upper School" from The Learning Counsel
- "Creating active learning environments" from SmartBrief
- "Choosing the Right Education Technology to Support Active Learning" from School Construction News
- Press Release: Tampa Preparatory School Renovates Upper School to Become One of the First Schools in the Country to have ALEs in Every Classroom Grades 6-12
- WEDU covered Tampa Prep's integration of technology throughout the school: http://video.wedu.org/video/2365484377
- Read "Tampa Preparatory School Has Front-Row Seat To Collaborative Learning With Epson BrightLink Finger-touch Interactive Projectors"
- Press Release: Tampa Preparatory School Creates Active Learning Environments In Middle School