The stated mission of the Tampa Preparatory Student Council is to, “improve the quality of student life and to represent the school in the greater community.” The focus of Tampa Prep's Student Council is to be the link between the students, faculty, administration, and alumni of Tampa Prep. Council members request that Upper School students share their concerns and suggestions and, as a group, they discuss ideas about how to best serve their fellow students, solve issues and improve the community for all.
Student Council established a “Student Activities Fund," which is financed through a portion of ticket sales for the Homecoming Dance. Students and/or groups applying for underwriting of specific events, workshops or philanthropic efforts within the community may apply for assistance from the Students Activities Fund by completing the proposal request and explaining how the use of requested funds supports our mission statement, “to think, create, be yourself, aspire to excellence and go beyond.”
To contact Student Council, please direct your inquiries to the Student Council Advisor Mrs. Lisa Harman at email@example.com.
Student Council Sponsored Activities
Student Council organizes many activities in the Tampa Prep Community each year. The following are some examples:
- Homecoming: The Student Council organizes the Homecoming Dance each year in its entirety - from the location of the event to the election of the Homecoming Court. The Homecoming Dance is traditionally held during the month of October.
- Spirit Week: Student Council sets theme days for the week. Students show their school spirit by dressing up each day! Spirit Week traditionally concludes with a Pep Rally Friday!
- Black Box Unplugged: This is one of the two main performing arts functions that Student Council sponsor each year. Traditionally held on the last Friday before First Semester Exams, this event is a chance for the students at Tampa Prep to take time to relax and enjoy the talents of their peers. Held with little amplification (thus, unplugged) in the Smith Black Box Theater, this event showcases theatrical and musical talents from the Tampa Prep community.
- Rock the Lot: This event is a classic Tampa Prep tradition. It is an outdoor event, generally held in the Senior Parking Lot just before the seniors leave for their three-week internships. This event is similar to Black Box Unplugged except it showcases more student bands from the Tampa Prep community in an exciting outdoor venue with the assistance of a professional sound system.
- Pep Rallies: The Student Council hosts "Prep Rallies" throughout the school year to celebrate the achievements of our athletic teams and to also boost school spirit at the beginning of each new sports season.
- Red Shell: Student Council funds and supports the spirit club, Red Shell. Red Shell formed with the goal of improving attendance at sporting events and promoting school spirit. Since its inception, the club has worked to generate excitement for all varsity sporting events.
- Student Council members also volunteer their assistance at Parents' Night, Headmasters' Challenge and End-of-the-Year Book Return.