International Students Applying for Admission
We welcome the interest of international students and encourage students whose families may be moving to the Tampa Bay area to seek admission. Likewise, interested students from our partner exchange programs are also encouraged to apply for a semester or year.
International students who seek admission follow the same process that all students follow except that the full tuition payment is required when the contract is submitted. The school will then issue the I-20 form to the family in the country of origin.
All international applicants must have a strong command of English and must be no older than eighteen years and nine months by September of their senior year. Tampa Preparatory School does not admit post-graduate students.
Competition for the most prestigious college and universities in the United States places great demands on our College Counseling Office. Families of international applicants should be aware that in order for our College Counseling Officers to be the best advocates for an international student matriculating to the American university system, we recommend that an international student attend Tampa Preparatory School for the last two years of their schooling. This two-year period provides our College Counseling Officers with a better understanding of a student's knowledge, skills, abilities and habits as well as establishing a much more personal relationship with the student.
Diploma-seeking International Students who wish to graduate from Tampa Prep and seek admission to an American university or college are required to take the SSAT (Secondary School Admissions Test) as well as the TOEFL.
* Please note: International students are not eligible for financial aid due to the difficulty in determining financial need in a different currency and tax structure.
- Submit an online application - Applications must be submitted with the $75.00 application fee by May 15. Subsequent applications for limited openings will be evaluated on a rolling admissions basis.
- Submit a School Recommendation Form with all previous years of official high school transcripts. Transcript(s) must be translated into English. We need both translated and untranslated versions of your transcripts.
- Submit 2 Teacher Recommendation Forms (Math and English teachers) downloaded from our website- Teachers may submit their recommendation forms to us. Recommendations can be scanned, faxed or mailed.
- Interview - A Skype interview is required during the admissions process.
- Testing - International students entering grades 9 though 12 for whom English is a second language must take the TOEFL. Information can be found at www.toeflgoanywhere.org. International students entering grades 6 through 8 should take the new TOEFL Junior test.
There are two formats for the TOEFL test. The format you take depends on the location of your test center. Most test takers take the Internet-based Test (IBT). Test centers that do not have Internet access offer the Paper-based Test (PBT).
Internet-based Test (IBT)
|96-120 (acceptable)||590-677 (acceptable)|
|88-95 (will consider)||570-589 (will consider)|
|Guidelines SSAT Test
Minimum Total Score
Minimum Test Score
Minimum Test Score
Tampa Prep has hosted International Students from many countries, including:
Peoples Rep. of China