All students, grades 6-12, are required to prepare and deliver an oral presentation each year as described below.
- "Declamations" are traditionally presented during the third quarter (between winter and spring holidays).
- Grades 6 and 7 will present a 2 - 4 minute oral interpretation (with use of text allowed). Oral interpretation is a selection of prose or poetry, but may not include material from plays. Students are encouraged to select material with more than one character in dialogue.
- Grades 8 and 9 will present a 2 - 4 minute speech written by someone else and delivered in a public forum (one 3x5 note card allowed). Topics and sources will be suggested to students in grades 6-9.
- Grades 10 - 12 will present a 3 - 4 minute speech that they will have written themselves. The speech must be 75% original, allowing only 25% quotes (no notes allowed).
- The winners (one from grades 6 and 7, one from grades 8 and 9, and one from grades 10 - 12) will be selected by a judge or panel compiled of people from outside the school.