Information for New Families 2013-2014
Welcome to the Terrapin Community! This page provides an overview of some important events throughout the year, as well as useful links and resources.
Fall 2013 Events
|IMPORTANT FALL DATES|
View the full 2013-14
Calendar at www.tampaprep.org/calendar for all events and school closures. Mark your calendar for these important dates:
| 8/28||New Parent Shindig |
| 9/12||Parents’ Night |
| 10/11||Golf Outing |
| 11/25|| Thanksgiving |
| 11/27- |
| Thanksgiving |
| 12/16- |
| First Semester |
| 12/23- |
| Winter Break|
GRADE LEVEL ACTIVITIES
The sense of unity within each class is strengthened through several programs and retreats at the start of each school year. Watch your mailbox for a schedule with details about each grade level outing.
CONVOCATION & FIRST WEEK ORIENTATION
This year's schedule will be handled differently than in the past as we launch our first year as a 1:1 iPad school! School begins with Convocation Monday, August 19, at 1 p.m. August 19-23 students will be trained on how to set up and use their iPads and participate in various activities. During the first week of academic classes, students will learn how to acquire necessary resource materials (eBooks and published books). A cross-curricular set of apps will also be distrubuted to all students free of charge. For more information about the iPad initiative, visit www.tampaprep.org/ipad. *PLEASE NOTE: There is no need to purchase textbooks or eBooks prior to the start of school.
NEW PARENT SHINDIG
New Parent Shindig (Wednesday, August 28, at 6:30 p.m.) is a social event for PARENTS ONLY. Parents with students new to the school enjoy dinner and drinks with other parents and meet several key members of the School community.
At Parents Night on Thursday, September 12, parents follow their child’s schedule to meet each teacher and advisor. Pick up a School Directory, meet Tampa Prep Parents Alliance members, hear about ways you can get involved and learn about the Clubs and Activities available to our students.
Spring 2014 Events
| 1/11|| Headmasters' |
| 2/3|| Upper School |
| 2/21|| Middle School |
| Spring Break |
| 3/29|| Jr/Sr Prom|
| 4/29|| Spring Concert|
| 5/1 || Awards Day|
| 5/2|| Sr/Yearbook Day|
| Second Semester |
| 6/1|| Graduation|
HEADMASTERS' CHALLENGE AT TAMPA PREP
Headmasters' Challenge is an annual tradition honoring our rivalry with Berkeley Preparatory School. Winter Sports teams at the Middle School, Junior Varsity and Varsity level compete. This day of demanding contests and friendly sportsmanship between two rival schools is always a family favorite. Tampa Prep hosts again this year, so be ready to bring your RED and GOLD spirit to cheer on our teams Saturday, January 11!
Grandparents Day is a school favorite! Grandparents and special friends are invited to accompany students to class Friday, February 7, for a half-day of fun and camaraderie. Grandparents are treated to special performances and join their grandchildren in classes to experience Tampa Prep firsthand! Families enjoy lunch together to end the celebration. If we do not have contact information for your child's grandparents, please submit the Family Profile Addendum at www.tampaprep.org/forms so they will receive an invitation.
This year, the Upper School will participate in Terrapin Day Monday, February 3 and the Middle School on Monday, February 21. While Tampa Prep students "go beyond" on a regular basis, the annual Terrapin Service Day exemplifies the school's mission of "a higher purpose than self." Students look beyond our campus’ borders to volunteer in various ways throughout the community. Each grade level takes on a different cause and donates their day to the organization or task.
TAMPA PREP'S FUNDRAISING GALA
For 29 years, the Tampa Prep community has gathered to celebrate and raise money for our school. This year’s event on Saturday, March 1, THE ONE, will feature music, great food, fantastic auction items and an elegnat evening that benefits the students of Tampa Prep! We would love for you to be part of the fun! For the latest information about THE ONE, visit www.tampaprep.org/gala.
MUSICAL PERFORMANCE, PIPPIN
The Upper School will be putting on a performance of Pippin from March 6-8 in the Smith Black Box Theater. This will be the first production of the year, so you will not want to miss it!
BUS INFO: www.tampaprep.org/bus
- Tampa Prep offers morning bus service from Brandon/Valrico, Tampa Palms/Avila/Carrollwood, Westchase and Pinellas.
DAILY SCHEDULE: www.tampaprep.org/schedule
FACULTY/STAFF DIRECTORY: www.tampaprep.org/faculty
FAMILY HANDBOOK: www.tampaprep.org/familyhandbook
- Families new to the school will find this to be an invaluable resource for details about important annual events, advising, expectations in athletics and academics, lunch and much more.
GUIDE FOR STUDENTS AND ACADEMIC LIFE: www.tampaprep.org/guide
- This publication details policies and procedures of the School, as well as academic requirements and course descriptions.
IPAD INFORMATION: www.tampaprep.org/ipad
- All you need to know about the iPad 1:1 Initiative starting in August 2013!
MY BACKPACK: www.tampaprep.org/mybackpack
- My BackPack is your gateway to all account information. Keep your information up to date for the Directory, check your account status and view your student's schedule, grades and attendance.
ORDER PREP GEAR: www.tampaprep.org/store
- Order custom Tampa Prep apparel to show your school spirit!
SCHOOL FORMS: www.tampaprep.org/forms
- Required forms for the school year.
STUDENT-ATHLETE INFORMATION: www.tampaprep.org/athletics-info
- Student-athletes and their families are encouraged to read the Student-Athlete Handbook for details about participation in athletics here at Tampa Prep. This page also includes all the forms needed for participation in Athletics at Tampa Prep.
SUMMER ASSIGNMENTS: www.tampaprep.org/summerassignmentTAMPA PREP PARENTS ALLIANCE: www.tampaprep.org/tppa
- All Tampa Prep students have Summer Reading requirements. Download the list for your child through the link above.
- TPPA is our wonderful parent group. Join parents for a grade-level coffee outing or get involved volunteering at the school!